Friday, August 14, 2009

Fall Challenge

Okay Ladies & Gents!!!!



I have a fall challenge for you. Living a healthy life is crucial to living a happy life. We only get one body this life time, and the condition that we keep it in not only can influence our life span but our emotional state and energy level! Making changes in our lifestyle isn't always easy, but when you do the cost/benefit analysis, this will be an offer too hard to turn down!



I am challenging you to lifestyle change! Only you can decide what is best for you, but I will use this blog as a window to allow you to look into my personal transformations. In my opinion, there are five key areas that will mold you into the best you:



1. Healthy Eating Habits

2. Exercising Regularly

3.Sleep

4. Personal Treats

5. Spirituality



#1- How you eat affects you energy level, how well you function, your physical appearance, and so much more. If you don't want to feel or function like a burger, don't eat one every day! Don't get me wrong, I love burgers just as much as the next girl. I just do not eat them often. I've replaced my once burger addiction with healthy alternatives like asparagus, broccoli, green beans, fruit, etc. If I desire meat, I stick with the lean meats like turkey or fish.



#2-Exercise. The challenge for us all. It was so much easier to stay in shape when I was a cheerleader and was required to work out every day at 5am or when I played basketball and did suicides until my legs wanted to fall off. Now, it seems like it is so hard to find time to go to the gym or take a walk. My best friend dropped some knowledge on me. She said usually we set unrealistic goals of things that we know that we cannot achieve or are just not achievable at the point we are at currently in life. Set small goals and work your way up to larger ones. For example, do not start with the goal of going to the gym 7 days a week, because the first day you don't make it, you will feel like you failed yourself. Once you are off schedule, you will say to yourself "Well, I'm already off schedule. I'll start back next week." Before you know it, next week will be next month or not at all. Instead set a realistic goal of going 2 or 3 times a week. This way you allow yourself some wiggle room. If you happen to go four times one week, you will exceed your goal. You will be putting a penny in instead of taken a penny out!



If there is no gym nearby, there are simple ways you can increase your daily physical activity. Swimming, taking the stairs, playing tennis or basketball, home videos, etc. Pick what works for you and stick to it!



#3-Sleep is imperative. Lack of sleep affects your attitude, the way you look, your bodies ability to fight of sicknesses. If you have seen my sleep deprivation video, you know I am in need of a lifestyle change. My plan for this school year is to go to bed every day at 10 am. This way I can get an early start around 6 am. This will ensure me 8 hours of sleep each night!





#4- Personal Treats- Treat yourself each week to something you like! This will kill those cravings if it has already been satiated once already. I have a thing for ice cream. So once every other week, I plan to go to Sonics or an ice cream joint and treat myself to my love! Go out to a nice dinner...what ever you personally like to do! This is a pay off to yourself for all the hard work you will have done!



#5- Although we all may not agree on what is out there, I think we all feel like there is something out there greater than us. Personally, mine is the Lord. I know that I need him and without him there is no success for me. Tap into your positive source.



Lastly, as I blog about my journey, leave comments about your personal journey. Let's lift each other up! The road won't be easy, but it's a journey worth taking!

1 comment:

Gezuar said...

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm behind on my reading. But I have to give it to you dear, I enjoyed that one, I'm taking you up on your fall challenge and trying to work on those 5 areas of life myself! When I was reading this it was like reading an Essence magazine or something, kudos darling.
Thanks for the shoutout btw lol!
I would celebrate my gym success today but I followed it by Papa Johns meat feast pizza...gotta work on that...