Tuesday, November 2, 2010

October 2011- The month of preventative styling


After the travesty of September, I needed to take a sometime and get my hair back on track. The first thing I needed to do was get was get the breakage under control. I discussed this with one of my bffs and she told me that hair is nothing but protein. And that perms work to break down the protein bonds, which results in a straight/ more relaxed look. So we theorized that if I could give my hair more protein, maybe I could get the breakage under control and restrengthen the bonds that had not been badly damaged by the heat. So all this mumbo jumbo means that I immediately started deep conditioning my hair at least once a week and using a stronger leave in conditioner. This also helped to make sure that my hair was well moisturized, and did not break even more due to dryness.


The next step that I knew I had to do was protect, protect, protect my hair. I immediately went back to my fall back hair style, twists. I love twists. However, I usually do them with gel. I knew this was no longer an option as I wanted to give my hair maximum flexibility so that I did not put any unnecessary stress on my hair. So I needed a new product. Any one who knows me KNOWS I am a sure product junkie. I love smells & if it smells good, it is as good as bought and under the sink in the hair product section. So I took a trip to hair product world, Walmart. And I came out with three things: 1) Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in conditioner 2) Pantene Pro-V Curly hair detangler light conditioning formula 3) a heat protectant/ cuticle seal should I ever use heat again on myself...it smelled good=/...oh &4) LeKair Extra Strength Cholesterol treatment, extra strength.


I started with the cholesterol treatment. Although, it said apply after shampooing, I like to start a washing by first applying a conditioner to my hair before any water has hit it as a curl, and matt loosener. It works WONDERS, in general. So, I applied this first. then washed it out. The smell of this product is very beauty salonish, not fruity. I washed it out, followed it by shampooing/cleansing with Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. Then applied the cholesterol treatment again, let it sit on there for about ten minutes with a plastic cap on, and rinsed it out again.


My hair felt soft and well moisturized. But it did feel different from when I use my Olive oil Replenishing Pack. It did not feel as silk as it does with that product. Usually I detangle when I have conditioner on my hair to preserve my natural curl pattern, but this time I detangled afterwards. I used a wide tooth comb instead of my denman brush, bc I am trying to determine if it is playing a role in my hair loss. I sprayed my hair down with the Pantente Pro-V detangler. I parted my hair in four sections and clipped each. then I went section by section detangling my hair (in smaller sections). I feel like this really helped speed up the detangling process. After I was done, I applied a liberal amount of Cantu Shea Butter to each smaller section and two-strand twisted each section. Once I finished I pinned each section to achieve some stretch. (more details on stretching to come)


Overall, my hair felt great! I wore the twist one day and wore a curly/ crinkly look the rest of the week. I will post pics. To maintain the look without shrinkage, each night I misted my hair down with the Pro-V detangler as a refresher and applied Cantu again and re-twisted each section and pinned it. It took me approximately 20 minutes a night to maintain this style. I was able to wear this style for an entire week with out rewashing. I could have probably worn this style for up to 10 days I would suspect. I was anxious to redo it, bc I an obsessed with different hair styles.


Any ways, this week, I am going to try a variation of this style and I am going to try to achieve a rock-chick kind of do for this weekend. I'll take pics and show you next week in a separate post. Here is a pic of my hair from last week. Hope this helps someone!!!

No comments: