Monday, November 8, 2010

November- Achieving Maximum S.T.R.E.T.C.H. when styling natural hair


If I'm going to be natural for the rest of my life, I might as well perfect it=] Ladies, are you tired of starting out with a nice& lengthy wash-n-go only to have a shrivled up puff by mid-day?!?! If so, this post is for you!

For the month of November, it is my mission to bring to you several different options of how you can achieve a nice length do with heat-free methods! I want to challenge you to think outside the box when it comes to your hair, and know that there are tons of options right at your finger tips!


Option 1: Achieving length with two-strand twists

If you have ever worn two-strand twist, you know that over time, they shink. One way I have learned to combat shrinkage with this style is by french braiding medium sized sections of twist. At night, I take about 6 twists and braid them together. I do this all over my head, and I sleep with a satin bonnet. The next morning I unbraid each section and shake it out. I am left with lengthy twist with a funky pattern! I like the pattern because it maximizes the volume of the twist so that it doesnt lay as flat and limp to my head. It also gives it a more lock-look! If you enjoy the traditional look of twist, you can just twist together medium sections of hair instead of braiding each night. That way you get the volume, the length, and the normal pattern of twist.


Option 2: Achieving length with crimped/80's flare

I dont know about you, but I heart big hair! And there is no other era truly ROCKED big hair better than the 80s. I began to study photos from the 80s via google images, and I came up with a hairstyle I wanted to achieve. I wanted a "crimped-look, with a heavy bang on one side." Most of all, it had to be achieved HEAT-FREE! So after following my new regimen, (mentioned in my last post), I sectioned my hair off in four sections and prepped each section. Next, I separated each section into smaller sections and two strand twisted each section. In the front of my head, I parted my hair the way I wanted my hair to fall and twisted the front in sections fallowing that pattern. Crucial to this style is pinning! After I finish twisting my hair, I use bobby pins to pin each section in the direction I want my hair to fall. So for example, the twist in the front of my head, I stretched around my had as I would when wrapping my hair and pinned it down once it was stretched to its maximum length. For the most part, I pin the twist on the left side to left, and the right side twist to the right. the twist in the middle you can really do either way (what ever is best for the look you want to acheive). I let my hair dry like this overnight. Once its dry, I take it down and untwist each section and pull them apart just enough to achieve the amount of volume I would like. Be careful with this as it may cause frizz. Less it always best when pulling apart twist because your will rise a bit as the week goes on. To maintain this style I retwist every night with a moisturizer and re-pin my hair. ALWAYS sleep with a satin bonnet to retain moisture. I have posted a pic with this style to this post.



More to come.


Thanks for reading=]

No comments: